Call Us CALL US TODAY | (931) 967-7546
Auto Insurance AUTO

Auto insurance protects you against financial loss if you have an accident.

Read More
Homeowners Insurance HOME

A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it.

Read More
Business Insurance BUSINESS

Discover the perfect insurance options to meet your specific and unique needs.

Read More
Life Insurance LIFE

Browse a variety of insurance options in order to find the right one for you.

Read More
Health Insurance HEALTH

Learn about different health coverage options that fit your specific needs.

Read More
Other Insurance OTHER

Finding insurance doesn't have to be difficult. We do the work for you.

Read More

by Kyle Hatchett


What is UL 300?

If you are in the commercial cooking business, chances are you need a UL 300 system.

What's that, you ask?

For starters, it looks like this:


UL 300 refers to "a fire testing standard administered by Underwriters Laboratories (UL)." It isn't a particular make or model of a system. Rather, it's the standard that different systems may or may not adhere to.

One of the most popular vendors of these systems is Ansul, so you will sometimes hear these referred to as Ansul systems.

What makes a system UL 300 compliant?

 There are several very specific requirements for a system to comply with UL 300 guidelines. West Bend has published a very helpful info sheet on that, which you can find here.

What is boils down too (no pun intended) is that a UL 300 compliant system has to be strong enough to handle the kind of grease fires and other cooking incidents that can emerge in a restaurant. Whether the restaurant is the owner of the building they occupy, or only a tenant, it is in everyone's interest to limit the spread of any fires that may occur.

Why does this matter?

If you are thinking about opening a restaurant, you need to factor in the cost of a UL 300 system. These systems have to be permanently installed, so you can't just pick them up and take them with you if you decide to change locations.

Your insurance agent should ask you if you if you have one of these systems, because having one will help to qualify you for the most competitive offers in the insurance market. It will also reduce your overall exposure to risk, and therefore, reduce your losses, which will in turn keep your long-term insurance costs down.

So, if you're opening a restaurant, don't skimp when it comes to safety equipment. You'll thank yourself for it later.



Posted 11:08 AM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive

View Mobile Version
© Copyright. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder